In this post, I am sharing pictures of keerai varieties. There are a number of keerai varieties and it was difficult to draft the types of keerai with pictures. This post has Keerai Vagaigal names in Tamil and English. Names of Greens in Tamil and English will be useful to newbies while buying and cooking.
I just wished to share a list of pictures I collected earlier from some websites.. Nowadays people have become health conscious and have started adding a number of spinach varieties in their diet.. I hope this post will be very useful to them..
I got familiar to lots and lots of variety, when we started our life in our new house.. It is in Shanthi Nagar area of Tirunelveli.. Whatever may be the size of the house,, people there grow a variety of plants in their home..
Because of like minded people, I engaged myself in gardening.. I was just 8 years old, when I started gardening.. I planted a number of greens, as it was very easy to get seeds from the nearby agricultural office..
Once we shifted our home to other areas, we happened to live in rented houses.. After that I did not get any opportunity to grow plants.. Still I am waiting for such an opportunity.. But the fantastic thing is I was able to learn a lot about plant.. Specially my knowledge base became strong in growing spinach..
Here is my list of images collected from websites.. I am going to mention the name of the varieties.. If you mention it in any different name, please let me know.. I will include the name in my post too..
Thank You for all the bloggers who took time to post their pictures in their blog.. As I collected long back, I am not able to give their link here.. Anyways, I wish to thank you all for these lovely images.. If any one of you happened to visit this blog, please prompt me with links.. I will definitely backlink to your blogs..
Keerai Vagaigal in English and Tamil | கீரை வகைகள்
1. Arai Keerai or Tricolor Amaranthus or அரைக் கீரை
2. Siru Keerai or Tropical Amaranthus or சிறு கீரை
3. Thandu Keerai or Tender Amaranthus or கீரைத் தண்டு
4. Pasalai Keerai or Kodi Pasalai or Vine Spinach or பசலைக் கீரை
5. Murungai Keerai or Drumstick Leaves or முருங்கை
6. Ponnankanni Keerai or Dwarf Copper Leaf or பொன்னாங்கண்ணி கீரை
7. Pulicha Keerai or Sorrel Leaves or புளிச்ச கீரை
8. Sigappu Thandu Keerai or Red Amaranthus or சிகப்பு கீரை
9. Mudakathan Keerai or Ballon Vines or முடக்கத்தான் கீரை
10. Vallarai Keerai or Centella or Brahmi or வல்லாரைக் கீரை
11. Agathi Keerai or August Leaves or அகத்திக் கீரை
12. Vendhaya Keerai or Fenugreek Leaves or வெந்தயக் கீரை
13. Palak Keerai or Spinach or பாலக் கீரை
14. Manathakkali Keerai or Black Night Shade or மணத்தக்காளிக் கீரை
15. Thoothuvalai Keerai or Thai Night Shade or தூதுவளைக் கீரை
16. Indian Mercury or Indian Copperleaf or குப்பை மேனி கீரை