My dad being an accounts person, was really really busy with his office audit works during my delivery. My bro was also not a responsible person to help out us. The hospital did not have a canteen. This left us in a state that only my mom and me have to take care of things keenly.
First thing you should do is to check your insurance card and various types of claims possible through tha card. If the hospital is listed under cashless claiming list, you should keep the card in your purse. It will be helpful. I had TTK Health Insurance during my delivery and they had a list of pre claiming hospitals.
I had my delivery in Nagercoil, India. My mom prepared the hospital bag checklist for me. After coming to US, I have been with my friends during their delivery. Here, the hospital bag packing differs, includes and excludes a few items. I have put this list considering both the cases.
4 SECTIONS in this hospital bag checklist
- Hospital Things
- Items for mom to be
- Items for the new little one
- Things for the person staying with you or care taker
Hospital Related Things
- Hospital Records
- Credit/Debit Cards
- Insurance Card
- Some cash (change) and coins (quarter coins for vending machines)
What to pack in hospital bag for Mom to Be ?
Dresses and Accessories
- 5 to 6 Full Split Nighties (easy to wear)
- 5 to 6 Inskirts and Inners
- 2 dozens of Disposable Underwears
- Extra Large Sanitary Napkins
- 2 to 3 Towels
- a good dress to wear during discharge
- Some Clips and Hangers for Drying Towels
- Bathroom Slippers
Cosmetics and Toiletries
- Comb, Hairclips and Hair Oil
- Paste, Brush, Soap and Handwash
- Moisturizers, if it is winter
Other Items – Kitchen
- Kettle for heating water, if gas or cooking stove not permitted in the hospital room
- Dishwashing Liquid Gel and Scrubber
- Spoons, small bowl and tumbler (optional)
- some salt and sugar sachets
- Camera and Chargers
- ipod or songs in phone and Magazines
What to pack in hospital bag for the little baby gonna come ?
In our family custom, we don’t buy any new thing for baby before delivery. Will simply collect some kettuduppu, a cloth worn for new babies. Will wash it, dry it and keep it in hospital bag. Other than that, a turkey towel washed dried and kept in bag. To keep it soft.
But nowadays, it takes a step forward. So let us see the list now.
Clothes and Towels
- 4 to 5 sets of baby cloths
- some baby caps to cover head (ears too)
- mittens (to prevent from scratching with nails)
- soft turkey towels
- gentle and soft veshtis cut into pieces
- sweaters in winters
- gentle wet wipes
- baby soaps
- feeding bottles and bottle brush (for the first few days, if milk not enough)
What to pack in hospital bag for person staying with you ?
- bed sheets and comforter in winter
- a small pillow
- brush, soap and comb
- 2 or 3 sets of dress and towels
- some plastic bags and ziploc covers
- some biscuit packets
- some health drinks sachets